At BHP Billiton, our people lead the way. We are BHP Billiton. Our 100-year Potash strategy in Saskatchewan will allow us to keep pace with the growing demands of the world. This is a career opportunity of a lifetime. Our activities are aimed at potash project development. Our interest in potash is via development projects largely within the Canadian province of Saskatchewan.
Potash is a globally traded commodity primarily used as a fertiliser. We have exploration rights to extensive highly prospective ground in the Saskatchewan potash basin. The Jansen Project, located 140 kilometres east of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, is our most advanced project and is in the study stages.
Jansen has the potential to become one of the world's premier potash mines and the platform for a significant and scalable potash business for BHP Billiton.
BHP Billiton is committed to be an organization which fosters an environment where people can be themselves, feel valued, and make meaningful contributions at work and in the communities. This will be achieved by recognizing, embracing, and leveraging individual differences. In support of this, we are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce and therefore where candidate's applicable skills and experiences are relatively equal, preference for hiring may be given to Aboriginal candidates and/or Women in a non-traditional role.
An outstanding opportunity exists for an enthusiastic professional to lead the project contract activities, including development of contracting strategies and management plans, establishment of processes and procedures for effective contract management by nominated EPCM and/or contract owners.
- Coordinates the development of Contracts strategy, management plans, standards, processes, systems and plans for a program of major capital projects.
- Coordinates the development of the contracting strategy and management plans, identifying the preferred types of contracts for the project, considering the project scope and risks.
- Coordinates the preparation and presentation of the submission of contracts related materials to governing committees such as Project Steering Committees and Capital Review Committees.
- Identifies the relationship between work packages, contracts and subcontracts including responsibilities between prime and subcontractors.
- Coordinates the contracts management and administration processes.
- Identifies schedule requirements for the contracting work, for inclusion in the project schedule.
- Monitors adherence to qualification standards, tendering protocols, and negotiating tactics that align with project drivers and contracting strategies.
- Coordinates efforts and manages resources to resolve contractual issues in a timely manner and minimise claims and disputes.
- Coordinates changes and claims, formal communication with contractors and contractor performance & warranties.
- Communicates the process for contracts management and administration with stakeholders.
- Ensures the contract action/notice list is maintained.
- Monitors all commercial documents, i.e., formal correspondence with a contractor, are properly archived and stored at all stages of the contract lifecycle.
- Leads, coaches and mentors team members to ensure delivery against performance targets.
- Coordinates execution of risk and quality management plans to assure effective management of the program's Contracts scope of work.
- Maintains an awareness of relevant central agreements and/or relationships and ensures that they are appropriately leveraged on the project.
- Identifies and implements improvement initiatives, including programmatic opportunities for increased capital efficiency and productivity in the function.
- Provides contracts input to value improvement practices for the program scope.
Minimum Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor Degree in Administration and Management or Commerce, Law, Engineering or related disciplines.
- 7+ years' experience in a large project environment (mining, power, oil & gas, construction)
- 3+ years previous experience leading and managing diverse teams
- Proven track record in leading negotiation of contracts
- Demonstrated experience in leading large and complex contracts
- Experience in managing a portfolio of spend categories
- Experience managing contractor relationships
While we appreciate all interest in BHP Billiton Canada Inc. and our Jansen Project, preference will be given to qualified local and domestic applicants as local conditions apply for this role.