|Job Ref:||87891BR||Employer:||Raytheon Company||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United States||County/State:||Maryland||City:||Silver Spring||Address:||Post Date:||14/10/2016 04:01|
The Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) is used by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/National Weather Service (NOAA/NWS) to ingest, analyze and disseminate operational weather data. AWIPS is a complex system consisting of a nationwide network of approximately 135 data collection and processing sites that generate essential watches, warning and advisories as well as other weather, water, and climate related information products. Under the NWS, Raytheon provides cutting-edge product improvement support including implementation of new software, hardware, and communications capabilities; operations and maintenance; and end user support. |
Raytheon is seeking a Lead Systems Administrator. The Lead Systems Administrator will be responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware, application software and related infrastructure. This individual leads in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the AWIPS environment. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, application software and related procedures adhere to AWIPS and NOAA standards and policies.
The Systems Administrator will lead in all phases of development and deployment. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of development and operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation also involves the transition of software from development to production by performing deployment activities within the project life-cycle.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
• Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements
• Develop and maintain installation, configuration and security procedures
• Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale
• Responsible for daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups
• Responsible for daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary
• Ensure repairs and recovers are performed on all hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies
• Lead efforts to deploy OS/Application patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary
• Perform ongoing performance system and application tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required
• Mentor staff on all aspects pertaining to AWIPS Systems Administration.
Required Education (including Major):
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Intelligence, Information and Services delivers innovative technology to make the world a safer place. Our expertise in cyber, analytics and automation allow us to reach beyond what others think is possible to underpin national security and give our global customers unique solutions to solve the most pressing modern challenges -- from cybersecurity to automated operations, and from high-consequence training to clear insight from large volumes of data. IIS operates at nearly 550 sites in 80 countries, and is headquartered in Dulles, VA. The business area generated approximately $6 billion in 2015 revenues. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
Type Of Job
MD - Silver Spring