|Job Ref:||R0009413||Employer:||Thales Group||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Basingstoke||Address:||Post Code:||RG21||Post Date:||14/10/2016 22:02|
Materials Science Engineer |
Flexible location - Basingstoke / Reading, Glasgow or Bristol
THALES teams deliver cutting-edge solutions to armed forces the world over. We are Europe’s number one supplier of defence electronics and a leading provider of integrated air defence systems. But our people don’t just work with incredibly advanced technology. The armoured vehicles we build can resist the full force of improvised explosive devices, while our avionics solutions control some of the world’s most iconic military aircraft. Together, our people make the world safer.
THALES’ Land and Air Systems division develops the complete airspace security solution for civil and military customers as well as addressing the needs of land forces involved in conventional and asymmetric operations. Our services include air traffic management, surface radar and military air operations, as well as advanced weapon systems, missile electronics, optronics, armaments and protected vehicles, across the UK and internationally.
We are recruiting for a Materials Science Engineer to work with LAS UK to design and implement materials compatibility activities; developing scientific knowledge in the field of materials compatibility, ageing and life-prediction and championing the role of materials science within the business.
This stand-alone, technical expert will work independently in a time-pressured role and will be a strong influencer at all levels, working with Supply Chain, Hardware, Systems, Electrical, Product Safety, Environmental Engineering, Design and Quality teams to achieve three main objectives:
- On-going development of LAS UK’s response to emergent and changing Legislation such as the REACh and RoHS Regulations; implementing guidance and solutions to minimise business impact and facilitate efficient on-going management.
- Optimise materials engineering understanding in system design by applying appropriate consideration at each phase of the lifecycle, concept, design, development, use, maintenance and disposal.
- Support delivery of the Thales environmental and sustainability goals.
It is a full time, permanent position. Due to the large scope of the role, it will involve travel to sites across the UK and overseas and could be based from Basingstoke (moving to Green Park, Reading at the start of 2017), Glasgow or Bristol.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Providing scientific knowledge in the field of materials compatibility, ageing and life-prediction
• Promoting and championing the role of materials science and technology in our products
• Design and implementation of studies to support materials compatibility activities
• Conduct of Audits, forensic investigation
• Enable the business to develop responses to relevant Legislation, Regulation, Standards and Customer Requirements
• Providing advice on:
- selecting the best combination of materials for specific purposes
- the implications for waste and other environmental pollution issues of any product or process
- problems arising during the manufacturing process or with the finished product, such as those caused by daily wear and tear or a change of environment
- testing materials to assess how resistant they are to heat, corrosion or chemical attack
- inspection, maintenance and repair periodicity and procedures
- energy usage in manufacturing and in-service energy saving, e.g. in transport and construction applications
• Ensure effective communications with peers, technical leads, line management and colleagues in design, manufacturing, technical & scientific support and supply chain
• Analysis of data and provision of technical reports and presentations
• Work to strict deadlines, meeting Business/Programme/Project deliverables on time, to scope and to the required standard
• Engagement with practitioners, expert groups and academic institutions in the UK and overseas in the materials science field, both internal and external to Thales
Skills & Attributes
- Delivery of materials science and engineering tasks in project environments
- Experience Implementing oversight and governance
- A wide range of knowledge covering the various dominant Standards normally associated with military and security equipment
- Extensive practical knowledge of materials science and chemistry relative to: Composites; Ceramics; Glass; Polymers and Metal alloys
- A background in engineering delivery, ideally within defence or aerospace
- Experience of:
• analytical and/or diagnostic techniques
• materials characterisation techniques
• Training delivery
• Requirement management
• Tools and technology i.e. XRF
• Environmental and sustainability drivers
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- Proven problem solving skills, analytical approach, with good numeracy and literacy skills
- Ability to work flexibly - both as an individual and within a team environment
- Computer literacy and proficiency in the use of MS Office
- Degree or equivalent in metallurgy/materials science or engineering related degree with strong emphasis on materials behaviour and / or characterisation
- Chartered professional membership of a learned society is desirable
- Experience in the defence industry would be desirable
- Consistently demonstrates positive behaviours in relation to environment, safety, health, security and quality in line with the Corporate objectives
- Looks to shape the Future
What we offer you
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs.
We value talent and provide growth paths to all depending on the individual skills and abilities to move up the ladder.
With Thales employing 68,000 employees in 50 countries and 43% of all Thales UK roles being filled via internal movements our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields.
Thales UK Key Facts:
- Each year, Thales registers more than 300 patents
- A prominent retailer commissioned Thales to develop a ‘heat-sensing people counter' for use in its 400 stores
- 90% of all UK credit card transactions are secured by Thales
- Over 120,000 Thales Chip & PIN terminals have been installed across Europe
- Thales UK has earned 79 Queen's Awards for Technology and Export
- 90% of our sales are sourced from the UK
- 7% of our revenue is reinvested in R & D
- Thales has invested more than £2bn in the UK within the last 10 years
- Thales is the second largest defence systems supplier
- Thales embodies many famous companies, including Racal, Shorts Missiles, Pilkington Optronics, Redifon MEL, Thomson Marconi Sonar, Thorn Missile Electronics, Avimo, Helio and others