|Job Ref:||204794441||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Job Type:||Permanent||Country:||United Kingdom||County/State:||Oxfordshire||City:||Oxfordshire||Address:||Post Code:||OX18||Post Date:||15/10/2016 03:41|
Business Intelligence Back End Developer|
As part of the Business Intelligence Team, to implement packages, develop applications and interfaces focussed on delivering Business Intelligence tools. To assist with data analysis, sourcing sample and test data. To assist in the development of the Data warehouse.
Various technologies will be used (MS SQL, SSAS, Redgate, Toad etc...) and most of the solutions developed will be based on a cutting-edge in-house SQL server DWH.
- Support the design and evolution of the company's Enterprise Data Warehouse (based on MS SQL).
- Develop user interfaces for master data and system health reporting.
- Development of required data transport logic.
- Documenting the business requirements at high level and work with the solutions architect to provide the IT solutions to meet the requirements through design workshops and specific project meetings.
- Assist Business Intelligence Team Architect and Analysts with the development of data extract queries, OLAP cubes and reports
- Research and evaluate when needed, possible approaches to fulfil the requirements.
- Develop applications and/or interfaces when needed and produce the associated documentation to guarantee supportability.
- Design test plans for the systems built and execute the plan in coordination with the rest of the project team to guarantee integration testing and correct errors found.
- Participate in the handover of the system to the application support team and the infrastructure team.
- Follow the standard project management methodology.
- Design, build and maintain efficient and automated SQL jobs to extract, transform and load key data from disparate sources into the BI Data Warehouse.
- Continuously and progressively cross-reconcile and cleanse all data within both the Data Warehouse and the source systems so that sources of error and confusion (e.g. duplicate licenses within the CRM system) are systematically eliminated and kept out. The goal is 100% reconciliation between all related data objects.
- Design & build tables, views, functions, stored procedures and other MS SQL objects within the Enterprise BI Data Warehouse to create a fully-managed set of consumable BI data sources that can feed standard scorecards, reports and self-service analysis tools (e.g. Excel Pivot tables and Cognos Reports).
- Work with other members of the BI team to build SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) OLAP cubes and publish them to business functions for them to report and perform analysis
- Produce high-quality detailed documentation on the design and operation of all the SQL components of the Data Warehouse.
- Produce and/or assist with ad-hoc questions and data analyses on demand.
- Assist analysts within the business functions to use published tables, views and cubes in their own reports by providing ad-hoc training and advice.
- Proactively identify anomalous, unexpected or significantly noteworthy data, verify its accuracy, and raise it to the attention of executive decision makers for discussion.
- Review specifications to ensure an unambiguous, consistent, testable and complete set of requirements
- Provide estimates (planning, workload, feasibility) and evaluate when needed possible approaches to fulfill the requirements
- Evaluate impact of data changes on existing solutions
- Follow the standard project management methodology
- Create proof of concept and prototypes
- Work against tight deadlines and delivery dates, raise alerts and communicate any change in planning or workload to project manager or line manager regularly
- Provide support and training for reporting tool and data interpretation, to develop and deliver end user training
- Write code and stored procedures to produce special reports or populate interfaces between applications
- Work with 3rd party vendors in the context of production database environments to review technical functionality, suitability, implications and costs of potential implementations (packages, new versions, fixes)
- Stay up to date with industry new IT developments in the database space and maintain a broad technical understanding of IT infrastructure
- May require international business travel.
- Will be allocated to more than one project at a time
- Job is not technology specific nor functionally linked to a specific business area within the company
- Candidate must be willing to provide occasional out-of-hours support for BI systems (e.g. around financial year end).
- Relevant in-house or external training will be provided as relevant
- Works as part of the business intelligence team
- Reports to the IT Solutions Manager - Finance, Supply Chain & BI within the IT department
Experience and Skills
- Developing in large-scale corporate databases (> 1m rows) using MS SQL
- Designing & building data warehouses using techniques based on industry best-practices
- Building reporting views and subsystems using T-SQL, SSAS, SSRS, Excel, SharePoint etc. to deliver regular KPIs, scorecards and OLAP capabilities.
- Working on significant projects to match, merge, validate and cleanse corporate data
- Advanced SQL Query in a DWH context
- Experience of SQL Analysis Services
- Performance tuning (use of query plan, index, partitions etc..)
- Experience of BI projects Test and UAT phases
- Experience of BI systems maintenance (change requests, bugs, support etc...)
- Experience with modeling techniques, UI, data, business rules & process flows, full project life cycles.
- Defining project plan and associated work estimate
- Experience of large BI projects impacting multiple departments
- Interface with 3rd party BI product providers for trouble shooting, support and patches
- Business analysis of customer requirements for reporting and data analysis requirements
- Translation of business requirements or high level specifications into detailed specifications and functionalities to be delivered using BI systems and methodology
- Working directly with all levels of staff & management as well as different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience
- Leading hands-on investigative work to discover, draw out and illustrate significant business trends from underlying data sets
- Writing and performing extract, transform and loading operations in the provisioning of a presentation layer for reporting
- Working under a structured project management framework
- Relational database infrastructure design, creation and management in development environments
- Write database procedures, functions and triggers
- Support of high availability, business critical databases
- Report writing using SQL and SSRS
- Working with Agile (Scrum) project methodologies for development and testing
- Experience with Temporal DWH approach
- Development of SSAS Cubes, aggregates, views and star schema DMT using SQL Server 2008 and 2012,
- Advanced SQL Query in a SQL Server DWH 2008, 2012 and 2014
- Knowledge of SSIS, SQL Agent and MDX
- Defining detailed project plans and associated work estimates
- Working in a global company with a mixture of infrastructures and systems all interconnected and dependent on each other`s
- Working with master data and providing expert guidance as to cleaning, transforming and optimizing data with the aim of converting into useful information. This includes advising on master data management processes.
- Selection of packages from external vendor
- Providing estimates (planning, workload, feasibility, options) for DWH related projects
- Working with multiple reporting tppls like Cognos Reports, Tableau, Q
- Attention to Detail
- Planning & Organising
- Active Listening
- Driving for Quality
- Problem Solving