Hourly Rate Bands N/A Salaried/Hourly-Paid Salaried |
Assisting in the management of costs relating to construction projects to ensure overall financial success of a project. Assisting in the commercial management on a number of trade packages across a project.
You will be working alongside a team of experienced construction professionals who will support your development as you gain your experience of working on live construction projects.
You will join a cohort of other graduates who will commence our graduate programme in September 2017. Our programme will consist of; providing you with tangible experience of working on site and taking responsibility from day one for sections of the project works, a programme of training courses which will provide you with underpinning knowledge you will need to develop, along with support to study towards chartered membership of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
We have operations throughout the UK working on a wide range of projects including new build commerical buildings, schools, hospitals, offices, industrial units, refurbishments, regeneration of listed buildings, interiors, highways schemes, water and waste water and airport projects (to name a few).
We are looking for our graduates to join us during the summer of 2017.
- To assist senior staff in the compilation of data to monitor individual contract performance on a monthly and quarterly basis;
- To ensure the full and proper implementation of the Divisions Commercial Procedures;
- To assist senior staff in the issue and management of records and documentation relating to contract accounts;
- To assist in the preparation of draft sub-contracts to the level of responsibility dictated by the Divisions Commercial Procedures;
- To assist in the procurement of and monitoring of sub-contractor performance in consultation with senior staff (where delegated authority so requires);
- To ensure the prompt and regular submission of main contract payment applications and subsequent cash collection together with the preparation of sub-contractor payments (strictly in accordance with payment terms);
- To assist senior staff in pricing variations;
- To assist senior staff in design cost control;
- Value management/value engineering input;
- Required to attend regular meetings;
- To apply a neat and accurate approach in all day to day activities and to strive to enhance ones own professional capability;
- To be aware of business continuity processes via Line Manager.
Knowledge skills & experience
- Relevant Quantity Surveying degree (2.2 or above essential);
- Practical and logical qualities and a methodical way of thinking (essential);
- Creative and innovative approach to problem-solving (essential);
- Strong numeracy and financial management skills and the ability to learn sophisticated design and costing IT packages (essential);
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings (essential);
- Ability to take off quantities in accordance with standard methods off measurement (desirable);
- Ability to write clear and precise reports and to relate complex information simply to a diverse range of people (essential);
- Ability to work in a multi functional and dynamic team environment (essential);
- Enthusiasm to learn and develop (essential);
- Experience of working within a construction company, ideally gained from a summer placement or year in industry (essential).
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft packages e.g. Excel, Word & PowerPoint (essential);
- Technical knowledge of construction industry (Building/Civils) (desirable);
- Knowledge of different industry contracts (desirable);
- Basic understanding of risk in construction process (desirable);
- Understanding of the relevance of the construction programme (desirable);
- Dispute resolution awareness (desirable);
- Must hold a full UK driving licence (essential);
- Must be able to work permanently in the UK.
About the company
Our Graduate Quantity Surveying positions could be based anywhere within the UK, either in our Building or Civil Engineering businesses. We will take into consideration your location preferences but cannot guarantee we will have vacancies in all regions. Our benefits package is as follows:
Interserve's vision is to redefine the future for people and places. We are one of the world's foremost support services and construction companies, operating in the public and private sectors in the UK and internationally. We offer advice, design, construction, equipment, facilities management and front-line public services. Interserve is based in the UK and is listed in the FTSE 250 index. We have gross revenue of £3.3 billion and a workforce of 80,000 people worldwide.
- Competitive salary (circa £26k);
- Company car/car allowance (equivalent value £3,724);
- Private medical insurance;
- 24 days annual leave entitlement;
- Access to share plans and flexible benefits package;
- Support towards chartership of RICS;
- Company pension scheme.
WINNER OF CONSTRUCTION NEWS' CONTRACTOR OF THE YEAR 2014
We are an Investors in Diversity accredited Company & committed to equal opportunities for all.