|Job Ref:||204804407||Employer:||cv-library.co.uk||Job Type:||Contract||Country:||United Kingdom||City:||Edinburgh||Address:||Post Code:||EH3||Salary:||£0 - £52.00/hour||Post Date:||18/10/2016 02:20|
Support and Service Solutions (S3) uses proprietary, business critical, advanced computer systems to provide its customers with the optimum possible service. |
Significant quantities of data is received from and sent to a number of other systems belonging to suppliers, partners and customers. The majority of this data is transmitted in the form of XML messages which are processed into and out of the main Oracle 12C database. The messages are transmitted either using proprietary systems or using Internet Web Services.
With the expansion of the projects supported on SAMS there is a need for an additional development and support person with particular expertise in the Java language and relational databases.
**Outline Job Specification**
To become a key member of the S3 Management Information Systems support team primarily developing and supporting the SAMS system.
• To develop message handling software in Java and interfaces to relational databases.
• To support existing software and applications written in java on Linux and/or Windows platforms.
• To contribute to the design and development of the overall system architecture.
• To design, develop and implement additional messaging systems in Java and to advise and assist other members of the team.
• To support users as required as a second or third level help-desk.
• To assist with the development and support of the system covering other technologies as required.
Skills, qualifications & knowledge
• Required: First degree or equivalent formal qualification in computer science or similar.
• Desirable: A formal qualification in a modern European language.
• Desirable: A formal qualification in business studies.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise:
• Required: Extensive knowledge of the Java language and its application to message handling applications.
• Required: Ability to write well documented, high quality, supportable applications in Java.
• Required: Knowledge of XML based messages and Web Service Description language (wsdl).
• Desirable: Knowledge of Oracle SQL and interfacing to relational databases.
• Required: Two or more years' experience as a Java developer working with an asynchronous message system.
• Required: One or more years' experience of building XML messages within Java and of parsing incoming messages.
• Desirable: Experience in supporting or developing multi-technology systems.
• Desirable: Experience in supporting existing Java systems.
Key responsibility areas
• Willingness to undertake occasional travel (air and road) which may involve over-night accommodation away from base.
• Driving licence acceptable throughout Europe.
• Comfortable working within a multi-skilled flexible team environment.
• Comfortable working with tight deadlines and willing to be flexible as regard to tasking and schedule as required.
• Willingness to work to understand user needs and business processes.
• Willingness to assist with software support and development