Vacancy has expired
|Job Ref:||RW247772||Employer:||General Dynamics US||Country:||United States||County/State:||Maryland||City:||Silver Spring||Address:||Post Date:||18/10/2016 05:13|
Job Description |
Initiates and executes scientific research and/or development studies; Analyzes problems and applies theoretical techniques to develop solutions.
1. Analyzes problems and develops experimental or theoretical techniques for formalized engineering or scientific studies.
2. Carries out development and testing of programs on systems; components and materials concurrent with design; fabrication or testing to better evaluate and minimize future problems.
3. Plans and executes laboratory research.
4. Develops alternative solutions to existing problems.
5. Uses specialized techniques and ingenuity to select and evaluate approaches to unforeseen or unique problems.
6. Performs or delegates all detail work necessary to determine optimum solutions.
7. Evaluates proposals and makes recommendations based on sound scientific principles and practical considerations.
8. May provide guidance and work leadership to less experienced Scientists and/or Technicians.
9. Prepares cost and schedule estimates and technical documents on proposed projects in assigned area.
10. Demonstrates creative ability through patent disclosures; problem solving; scientific reports or technical papers and articles.
11. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
12. Participates in special projects as required.
1. Bachelors Degree in a scientific discipline.
2. Masters Degree preferred.
5-8 years of related experience in scientific research; analysis and/or engineering.
• Independently plans; coordinates and performs genetic and diagnostic studies of microbial pathogens; including a broad array of molecular laboratory tests and strain typing assays; under biosafety level 2 conditions based on general directions provided by COR. • Acts as a Principle or Associate Investigator in managing projects within defined scope of work. • Coordinates updates of department computer software packages and databases to accomplish project and program work. • Trains other laboratory workers in use of computer software for funded research efforts. • Modifies established experimental techniques as required and establishes new techniques in the laboratory based on information provided in the scientific literature. The qualifications for this Molecular Biologist are: a Ph.D. degree or equivalent with at least ten (10) years of experience is required as an investigator in research in molecular microbiology; including in molecular diagnostic assays for bacterial pathogens of military relevance. Experience working with infectious/pathogenic bacteria is required. Experience is necessary in developing and optimizing molecular laboratory tests on different instrument platforms and in conducting genetic typing of a variety of pathogenic bacterial species using current techniques. The understanding and ability to use modern techniques such as genetic typing and comparative DNA sequence analysis to analyze and categorize bacterial pathogens is required. The experience and ability to use software tools for phylogenetic and molecular epidemiologic analysis is needed. The demonstrated ability to write and publish in English peer review journals is required. Must have experience and the ability to work in a BSL-2 environment. Must be able to integrate current scientific concepts and creatively apply them to U.S Army research objectives. Must have experience in statistics and applications of statistics to biological research. Work involve international travel 4 times for 14 days and domestic travel at a minimum one time for 5 days annually
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial NA approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support NA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.