Job Description |
The Contractor will serve as a Principal Investigator and develop and conduct basic and applied research for progressing our understanding of current and emerging multi drug resistant bacterial threats in support of our biodefense and infectious disease program. This position requires expertise (Ph.D) in a range of Microbiology; Molecular Biology; Biochemical; Biophysical and Microbiological R&D methods for progressing research areas related to new target development and advanced therapeutic applications.
- Contractor will be a Principal Investigator (PI) focused on applying state of the art techniques and emerging research technology such as synthetic biology to elucidate novel mechanisms of bacterial pathogenesis and identify novel targets and therapeutic small molecules.
- The Contractor will develop novel whole-cell reporter and biosensor assays based on Fluorescence; luminescence; and Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET) platforms. Integral to this Task is the development of novel assays designed to measure the efficacy of therapeutics in both in vitro and in targeted microbial systems and animal models of infection.
- Contractor will employ expertise in bacterial physiology to utilize bacterial quorum sensing systems as a target of MCM development. This requires a strong working knowledge of quorum sensing modulations by natural and synthetic compounds and other molecular mechanisms.
- Contractor will provide expertise in performing standard molecular biological techniques and molecular microbiological experiments to genetically manipulate bacteria to understand contribution of genetic determinants to virulence and antimicrobial resistance to provide laboratory support to ongoing research efforts within the Division. In addition the Contractor will help train junior members of the research team in research techniques; assist team in drafting animal protocols; designing experiments; troubleshooting technical issues; and writing manuscripts.
- As a Principal Investigator; seek funding from DTRA and other funding agencies on behalf of the Government and USAMRIID to further the research portfolio of MTS and USAMRIID. Establish and coordinates extramural collaborations and contracts; to augment the research program he or she directs. Amounts of funding per year will vary depending on current mission requirements and USAMRIID's available funding.
- The Contractor will record; analyze; interpret and wherever possible publish experimental data. As a Principal Investigator; they should prepare technical reports and manuscripts for publication each year. They should present work at Scientific Meetings each year; which may require CONUS and OCONUS travel.
Masters Degree in a scientific discipline.
Preferred- PhD in a relevant field of the life sciences (virology; bacteriology; immunology; molecular biology; pharmacology)
8-10 years of related experience in scientific research; analysis and/or engineering.
Preferred- 10-15 years of related experience in a research laboratory setting
SSBI required if work will be conducted in biocontainment laboratories
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial NA approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support NA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Demonstrated their subject matter expertise in a number of areas; and their ability to conduct team-based research through publication of several technical reports and/or peer-reviewed publications
- Experience in the development of medical products for licensure by the FDA is desired
- Experience managing a research laboratory including technicians and other junior scientists is desired
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be eligible for enrollment in the Army Biological Personnel Reliability Program (BPRP)