Vacancy has expired
|Job Ref:||RW247393||Employer:||General Dynamics US||Country:||United States||County/State:||Maryland||City:||Frederick||Address:||Post Date:||18/10/2016 05:13|
Job Description |
The Contractor shall serve as a Principle Investigator and will conduct basic and applied research on specified bacterial threats; in support of the biodefense and infectious disease program. The Principle investigator will work in BSL-3 and BSL-4 laboratories and thus must hold and maintain BPRP status; IAW the provisions in this contract and applicable regulations.
Specific Tasks include:
• Contractor shall present 2 research findings/presentations at lab meetings and attend 2 scientific meetings or symposia per year
• Contractor shall complete 4 quarterly reports and 1 annual progress report for DTRA
• Contractor shall prepare one 1st author manuscript for publication per year
• Contractor shall prepare supporting author scientific papers for publication.
• Contractor shall conduct transcriptome analyses to better understand bacterial pathogenesis and design vaccines and therapeutics.
• Contractor shall create 6 non-BSAT strains for the production of Bacillus anthracis capsule
• Contractor shall add capsule operon and other control elements in Bacillus anthracis Live Attenuated Vaccine strains
• Perform PCR reactions for genetic confirmation of strains.
• Contractor shall create genetic knockouts in Francisella tularensis and Bacillus anthracis for vaccine studies
• Contractor shall make and characterize mutant bacterial strains
• Contractor shall perform MSD protein assays
• Contractor shall plan and assist with animal experiments.
• Contractor shall prepare DNA/RNA from bacteria and tissues
• Contractor shall prepare BSL2; BSL3 labs for quarterly and annual Safety; Bio-surety and CDC inspections
• Contractor shall run ELISA tests to support anthrax vaccine studies.
• Contractor shall run ELISAs and other tests [gel electrophoreses] to quantitate and analyze B. anthracis capsule to support anthrax vaccine studies
• Contractor shall write; plan and execute animal protocols to evaluate experimental anthrax vaccines.
• Contractor will prepare spores for animal challenges for analysis of animal immune response to vaccine.
• Contractor shall complete approximately bacterial opsonization assays to evaluate experimental anthrax vaccines.
• Contractor shall conduct Equipment Inventory Management twice a year in BSL-2 and BSL-3
Masters Degree in a scientific discipline.
Preferred- PhD in bacteriology
8-10 years of related experience in scientific research; analysis and/or engineering.
Preferred- 10-15 years of related experience in a research laboratory setting
SSBI required if work will be conducted in biocontainment laboratories •Demonstrated their subject matter expertise in a number of areas; and their ability to conduct team-based research through publication of several technical reports and/or peer-reviewed publications • Experience managing a research laboratory including technicians and other junior scientists is desired • Excellent written and oral communication skills • Must be eligible for enrollment in the Army Biological Personnel Reliability Program (BPRP)
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial NA approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support NA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.