Vacancy has expired
|Job Ref:||2016-13116||Employer:||General Dynamics US||Country:||United States||County/State:||Louisiana||City:||New Orleans||Address:||Post Date:||18/10/2016 05:17|
Job Description |
General Dynamics IT has an opening for a Senior Oracle Database Architect along the Gulf Coast in New Orleans; LA.
The position requires eligibility to pass and maintain a government background investigation. Candidates must be authorized to work in the US.
Seeking a motivated and energetic Database Architect to join our superb team of IT professionals. We want a dedicated individual who wants to excel and guide our database team to success.
DBAs are the foundation for the GDIT Development Process in delivering the best custom applications to our customers. This role requires coordination and collaboration with many GDIT and Government personnel from Software; Hardware; Integration; Testing; Business Analysts and Operations to build and manage our customer's databases.
A database architect designs; maintains; enhances; and codes relational databases; analyzes and determines information needs and elements; data relationships and attributes; data flow and storage requirements; and data output and reporting capabilities; develops data modeling and is responsible for data acquisition and access analysis and design; and archive; recovery; and load strategy design and implementation; coordinates new data development ensuring consistency and integration with existing data warehouse structure; reviews business requests for data and data usage; researches data sources for new and better data feeds; participates in continuous improvement efforts in enhancing performance and providing increased functionality; designs data structures to accommodate database production; storage; maintenance; and accessibility; develops screens and queries; tests designed applications; may perform upgrades and maintenance of hardware and software; provides technical support and guidance to users; maintains current knowledge of relevant hardware and software applications as assigned; may serve as team or technical task lead and provide guidance and training to lower-level staff; participates in special projects as required.
The Database Architect is responsible for ensuring the integrity of all the databases within the system. The DBA works closely with System Administrators to carry out and sustain system-wide backups and restores. The Database Architect will provide maintenance of databases to include the following: backups; disaster recovery; database support (status checks; Oracle critical patch updates).
The DBA performs database technical duties to include general backup; restore; update; testing; and debugging. The specific duties include performing data transfers; providing user access to data; keeping servers operational; configuring assets to support user needs; troubleshooting assets. Monitors test progress; corrective actions; hardware/software baseline status; testing patches and an overall status of the system.
Bachelors Degree in a Computer Science or related technical discipline; or the equivalent combination of education; technical certifications or training; or work experience.
8-10 years of related database analysis and/or administration experience.
Requires at least eight years' directly related experience in the design; maintenance; and coding of databases. Also requires advanced knowledge of the principles; methods; and techniques used in all phases of database development; coding; and design; including business analysis; event modeling; logical and physical database design; data access analysis and design; DBMS optimization; archive and recovery strategy; load strategy design and implementation; security; and change management.
Required Specialized Skills:
1. Participates in the design; maintenance; troubleshooting; enhancement; coding; and administration of relational databases.
2. Analyzes and determines information needs and elements; data relationships and attributes; data flow and storage requirements; and data output and reporting capabilities.
3. Coordinates new data development ensuring consistency and integration with existing data warehouse structure.
4. Reviews business requests for data and data usage; researches data sources for new and better data feeds.
5. Participates in continuous improvement efforts in enhancing performance and providing increased functionality; including performing proactive maintenance such as ensuring continued space availability; monitoring activity; and documenting problems; changes; and solutions.
6. Tests and troubleshoots designed applications and their database connections.
7. Assignments may include design of data dictionaries; database structure and layout; installing; upgrading; and managing database applications.
8. Stay current on vendors' best security practices in relation to organizational requirements.
9. Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
10. Participates in special projects as required.
1. Proficient in verbal and written communication skills; to include routine presentations to management.
2. Database Administration skills; to include Oracle Performance Tuning; Oracle Administration; Operating Systems (OSs); Scripting Languages (shell; batch; Practical Extraction and Report Language (PERL)); and Oracle Administration in an MS Windows environment.
3. Solid understanding of database and related tools and applications; to include Oracle Relational Database Management System (RDBMS); Oracle Export; Import; and Data Pump; Structured Query Language (SQL); Transact-SQL; Oracle SQLPlus; Siebel; Microsoft (MS) SQL Server 2000; and Windows Server 2003.
4. Familiar with Java
Working Conditions: The work is typically performed in an office environment; which requires normal safety precautions; work may require some physical effort in the handling of light materials; boxes or equipment. The above job description is not intended to be; nor should it be construed as; exhaustive of all responsibilities; skills; efforts; or working conditions associated with this job. Requests for reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the principal (essential) functions of this job. General Dynamics Information Technology; Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/D/V).
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial NA approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support NA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.