Job Description |
Interested in a challenging position as a System Engineer/Administrator working on the forefront of the Amazon Cloud• General Dynamics Information Systems (GDIT) is seeking an experienced Amazon Web Services (AWS) System Engineer/Administrator ready to join our team of System Integrators, System Engineers and Software Developers to provide high-profile, large scale AWS-based solutions. The candidate will assist our team with establishing server environments for the development of new applications and migration of existing applications to the Amazon Cloud. The candidate will strive to establish automated server generation routines, optimize system performance, establish system monitoring, and maintain established operating systems and system security protocols. The candidate must be able to brief technical solutions to customers and peers .
1. Serves as a top level technical or functional expert supporting one or more clients and unlimited user groups.
2. Performs highly specialized technical tasks associated with cutting-edge technologies.
3. Works with user groups to solve business problems with available technology including hardware, software, databases, and peripherals.
4. Applies expert functional knowledge and experience to significant business projects or processes.
5. May perform business development activities, including providing technical input to proposal efforts.
6. Provides guidance and training to less experienced staff.
7. May serve as a technical task or project leader.
8. May have supervisory responsibilities.
9. Maintains current knowledge of relevant developments in area of expertise.
10. Participates in special projects as required.
Additional activities for this effort include:
- Participation in iterative Agile system/software development teams with adherence to all reporting requirements
- Meeting with stakeholders, analyzing requirements, user stories and related artifacts to determine technical specifications for system environments
- Working with technical teams for the development, operations and maintenance of Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) instances for development, test and production environments
- Planning and performing upgrades, enhancements, patches, scans, and regular operating system maintenance in accordance with customer protocols
- Planning and performing system security/antivirus upgrades, enhancements, patches, scans in accordance with customer protocols
- Working with other programs to coordinate integration of enterprise services/systems to be consumed/used by the Sponsor
- Development of technical documentation and briefing materials to support program status reviews, control gates, and other presentations as directed by program management
- Working with program Lead Engineer/System Integrator to maintain System Security Plans (SSP) and assist with system Accreditation and Authorizations (A&A)
- Providing guidance and leadership to less-experienced system engineers
Bachelors Degree in a related discipline.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong practical Linux-based systems administration skills in a Cloud environment
- Experience collaborating with and/or partnering with infrastructure service providers
- Experience building AWS EC2 instances for development, test, and production environments
- Experience building sophisticated and automated infrastructure using system build tools such as Packer
- Experience with CloudFormation and JSON to generate Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) instances
- Knowledge of AWS system deployment and configuration management tools (i.e. Squid, Puppet, Packer, Chef, Salt, etc.)
- Experience developing and maintaining auto scaling and elastic load balancing (ELB) capabilities
- Understanding of access management and security groups (i.e. LDAP, 1AM, S3 bucket, CloudTrail, SSH, VPN, etc.)
- Knowledge of AWS system monitoring, notifications, and logging tools ((i.e. Icinga, CloudWatch, Trivoli, Vegas, CloudFront, Logstash, etc.)
- Understanding of government ICD 503 system security accreditation (C&A/A&A) procedures
- Basic understanding of Agile/Scrum process tracking via in person and software such as JIRA
- Experience with the customer or customer partners' policies, directives and standards
- Strong scripting skills using languages (I.e. Powershell, Bash, Ruby, Peri, etc.)
- Understanding of Government best practices with regards to AWS systems development processes
- Basic understanding of software/application development processes
- Understanding of code/document control repositories (I.e. Git/GitHub, SVN, etc.)
- Basic understanding of messaging queue technologies (I.e. EQS/ActiveMQ, PEMB/Kafka, etc.)
- Basic understandings of database server requirements for Oracle; Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS), or similar toolsets
- AWS Certification
15-20 YEARS OF SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATION EXPERIENCE.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial NA approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support NA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.