Job Description |
Principal Software Engineer
General Dynamics Information Technology is looking for a motivated, skilled software engineer looking to join a dynamic cross-functional team supporting a Government customer. Excellent written/oral communication skills combined with technical expertise in Java development in an SQL database environment desired.
The Principal Software Engineer researches, designs, develops, and modifies enterprise-wide systems and applications software.
- Designs, develops, codes, tests, and debugs complex new software products, or makes significant enhancements to existing software.
- Development and maintenance of Java server application and tools; C# and web clients; and SQL Server queries, functions, stored procedures, and triggers.
- Researches and integrates design strategies, product specifications, development schedules, and user expectations into product capabilities; Documents customer requirements.
- Resolves complex hardware/software compatibility and interface design considerations.
- Researches emerging technologies to determine impact on application execution; Conducts complex investigations, data analysis and tests; Troubleshoots complex problems.
- Writes, modifies, and maintains technical documentation and specifications such as user manuals, system documentation, and training materials.
- Prepares reports on analyses, findings, and project progress.
- Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced software engineers; may serve as a technical team or task leader exercising leadership in either a technical role or project coordination role.
- Performs applications engineering, including full life cycle application systems design and development.
- Performs scripting and performance of quality assurance testing, both manual and automated.
- Provides operational support of production system, including configuration management, releases, and troubleshooting.
- Serves as a liaison with clients, participates in meetings to ensure client needs are met and may make client presentations; Conducts system acceptance testing at customer site.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Advanced knowledge of software engineering principles, methods, and techniques required
- Knowledge of the associated hardware, software, and equipment required
- Understanding of existing code and how an application functions by reading it required
- Write modular, efficient, and readable code for bug fixes, enhancements, and re-structuring required
- Write unit test code, test scripts and perform manual functional testing.
- Work with our own and our customer's staff at various levels, both technical and non-technical.
- Work on multiple projects according to priorities.
- Mix development, testing, and operational support on any given day.
- Working knowledge of:
- C# and .Net
- MS SQL Server
- Jetty, Apache Tomcat, or any Java application server
- SOAP web services
- XML - DOM, SAX, XPATH
- Windows Server 2008R2 / Windows 7 or later
DESIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Professional certification in one or more specific technologies mentioned
- VMWare and related virtualization software
- Spring Core
- Apache Enterprise Integration Frameworks (ActiveMQ, Camel, Zookeeper, etc.)
- REST web services
- Apache/IBM HTTP Server
- IBM MQ Series
- Application architecture and design, including for distributed applications
- SQL Server (app developer or DBA level)
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
8-10 years of related software development experience. Requires at least five years' directly related experience in the design, writing, and testing of computer programs or database development. Also requires comprehensive knowledge of the principles, life cycle applications and systems development, engineering, programming and analysis.
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial NA approximately 32,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support NA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.