Working to improve health & safety performance on Crossrail and its contractors to ultimately raise the bar in health and safety within the industry. The post-holder is to support the Head of Health & Safety Improvements to promote improvements in health & safety management and performance. They are to work closely with site teams, contractors and other directorates to ensure integration of the Crossrail Target Zero culture into daily work programmes.
- Work with contractors to drive health & safety improvements and share good practice. This will include conducting regular Gateway Scheme assessments, supporting the contractors in the development of an improvement plan, analysing the results of the Gateway Scheme and developing programme-wide initiatives based on the findings.
- Facilitate, communicate and coordinate improvement projects to drive change in areas identified through incident investigation and H&S statistical trend analysis.
- Support Crossrail's and the contractor community's behavioural based safety, leadership and workforce engagement programmes to drive effectiveness within the programmes.
- Assist with sharing of best practice, positive safety performance and learning from incidents (e.g. through the development of alerts; supporting construction in their bi-weekly incident review call and the development and roll out of health and safety campaigns).
- Deliver and communicate Target Zero initiatives across the area of responsibility maintaining a common approach with other health & safety teams.
- Develop toolbox talks and alerts, and the review of photos and videos for external release as necessary.
- Conduct investigations into level 1 & 2 incidents as required.
Main challenges of the job
- Balancing a variety of priorities to ensure timely delivery in accordance with agreed deadlines.
- Developing a collaborative approach to encouraging improvements in health & safety performance.
- Establishing appropriate communications to ensure campaigns/initiatives are effective
- Winning the hearts and minds of the contractor community in order to engage them to raise the bar.
- Multiple contractor interfaces with varying levels of safety performance.
Dimensions & Interfaces (both internal and external)
- Maintain good working relationship with Area Director(s), Project Managers and Delivery Directorate Health and Safety professionals.
- Maintain good working relationships with contractors at a number of sites.
- Liaison with industry partners and other stakeholders.
- Liaison with industry forums and working groups.
- Experience in heavy construction health & safety management (tunnelling and major rail infrastructure project experience preferable but not essential).
- NEBOSH Construction Diploma, or equivalent as minimum and competence in delivering H&S advice.
- Experience of developing, managing and delivering health and safety initiatives.
- Experience of communicating health and safety information.
- Experience of Experience of assessing health and safety NA people skills required.
- Ability to work under own initiative as well as contribute to and support Health and Safety Improvement Team objectives