Summary: This position is responsible for assisting the Accounting Senior Manager in overseeing the Cost Accounting operations (long-term contract POC revenue and inventory) in support of Johnson Controls’ North America Integrated Solutions & Services business units. This includes but not limited to general accounting, judgments with regard to the application of accounting principles and policies, financial reporting, and external/internal audit coordination. |
This position will also be responsible for managing and refining various Center of Excellence aspects, with an emphasis on improving the monthly closing process and the work streams supporting it. Additionally, position will focus on driving efficiencies, developing staff and leveraging best practices across North America.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Helps the Accounting Senior Manager plan the overall operations of the general ledger areas and ensures achievement of goals and objectives either directly or through subordinate staff.
- Responsible for coordinating and monitoring all activities associated with maintaining the general ledger, including the monthly close process and review of all journal entries for direct reports.
- Drive continuous improvements with focus to eliminate monthly close inefficiencies to reduce process time.
- Works cross functionally with various departments, including Operations, FP&A and Reporting to provide accurate and timely reporting of all related financial results.
- Ensure accuracy of financial statements through strict account reconciliation procedures and quarterly Balance Sheet reviews. Focus on improving quality of account reconciliations.
- Applies accounting technical knowledge to ensure the Company's accounting practices comply with GAAP.
- Maintain SOX internal controls compliant environment.
- Coordinates audit requests from the external auditors, internal auditors and / or compliance.
- Establish relationship with customers with emphasis on creating environment where Center of Excellence is looked to as resource for accounting guidance and a business partner.
- Manage, develop and set goals for staff.
This Accounting Manager must demonstrate ability in the following areas:
Develop Talent – Strong leadership / team motivator, succession planning, champion personal development
- Customer Focus – Build strong connection to customers with open communication and responsiveness.
- Accountability & Drive for Results – Comprehensive understanding of customer needs. Recommends and/or takes action on changes as necessary to meet customer requirements.
- Management Leadership – Works under limited supervision; ability to exercise independent judgment; must compare alternate courses of action and make a decision after considering the options.
- Change Agent & Process Optimization – Ability and readiness to embrace and drive process improvements/efficiencies.
- Functional / Technical Skills – Strong knowledge of US GAAP . Exposed to a variety of situations requiring advanced analysis and interpretation skills. Uses systems/processes and organizational knowledge to solve complex problems.
- Collaborate Across Boundaries – Effective team player capable of collaborating across a dynamic, complex organizational structure.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting (preferred), finance or other business related field
- Master’s degree in accounting or business administration preferred
- CPA Certification preferred
- 8 years experience in accounting, with 2 years of management experience.
- Public accounting experience and/or large multinational public company industry experience preferred.
- The candidate must demonstrate ability to identify and implement process improvements, be a self-starter, and effectively interact and communicate across multiple organizations/functions.
- The candidate should be comfortable with complex accounting matters and demonstrate competency in US GAAP, current accounting regulations and internal controls.
- The candidate must have strong communication (oral and written) and relationship building skills.
- Experience with ERP ledger systems (Oracle, Baan) is preferred.
- Experience with Essbase and HFM is preferred.
- Experience with Blackline software is preferred.