Permanent | Full Time
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
• Do what’s right
• Deliver winning results
• Build collaborative teams
• Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
• Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
• Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble HR/Health & Safety Advisor
The Opportunity: Reporting directly to the Plant Manager the HR/H&S Advisor is responsible for providing leadership and support in the plant as it relates to the Human Resources/Health and Safety function for the plant's hourly and salaried employees. The incumbent will focus, specifically in the areas of Health & Safety, Labour and Employee Relations.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do: • Lead all aspects of Employee Relations including employee events, conflict resolution, and disciplinary investigations.
• Establishes and promotes the maintenance of safe and healthy working conditions to all employees, visitors and contractors.
• Recommends ways to reduce or eliminate industrial accidents and health hazards in collaboration with Supervisors, Managers, and the JHSC.
• Advises on regulations relative to Company responsibilities and liabilities.
• Develops and maintains a program for the determination of exposure to any chemical/physical agents and recommends appropriate solutions to rectify or manage the exposure.
• In conjunction with the Plant Manager, represents management in meetings with the Ministry of Labour.
• Researches data, conducts surveys, makes recommendations and compiles reports as required with respect to health and safety.
• Maintains statistical data for reporting requirements.
• Ensures that all safety audits are conducted and documented appropriately.
• Records, administers and maintains all WSIB claims.
• Administers and maintains the Return to Work program through consultation with Supervisors, Managers, Associates and Union.
• Ensures that a high level of morale is maintained among associates and creates an environment where associates are motivated to achieve company goals and objectives.
• Analyzes and helps to resolve safety issues with the cross functional team, and assists workers in solving safety-related problems through appropriate root cause analysis.
• Complies with all company and government legislated health and safety policies and practices.
• Recognize, support and commit to the Food Safety promise and facility Mission statement
• Investigate and resolve employee concerns/complaints/harassment.
• Counsel management on the application of various policies and procedures
• Provide leadership on the administration of employee benefit, payroll and pension programs
• Conducts research into human resource programs/activities and recommends changes or innovation where desirable
• Prepare and administer HR/H&S budget.
• Provide exceptional employee services to all staff and management.
• Act as the gatekeeper for all Leadership initiatives.
• Liaison with the Union regarding grievances, complaints and all other labour management functions.
• Develop and execute teambuilding activities throughout the plant.
• Contribute as a key member of the Plant Management team in strategic decisions, continuous improvement and Six Sigma initiatives
What we have to offer you: • Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
• Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
• Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
• Defined Contribution Pension Plan
• Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
• Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring: • A well-developed generalist and change management background
• A proven track record of proactively managing employee relations
• Passionate about coaching, mentoring and developing people to achieve positions of greater responsibility
• Initiative, drive, demonstrated leadership and excellent communication skills
• Results orientated, able to work as part of a functional team and must be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership Values
• Excellent planning and organizational skills plus the ability to manage multiple priorities
• Strong problem solving skills
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to make procedural decisions and judgments involving sensitive and confidential issues under stressful conditions
• Knowledgeable in Health & Safety / Food Safety principles
• Proficiency in MS Office
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce.
Keep Calm and waka waka...