Orchard Therapeutics is in a phase of rapid expansion and we are looking to grow our Research and Discovery group in London. There is an immediate opportunity for a bright science technician to join the growing team within Orchards Research & Discovery Department that is working on groundbreaking science in the rare disease field. The role is based in the heart of London in our Laboratory facility where there is access to a vibrant academic community that gels well with our evolving gene therapy industry.
The Technician in Gene and Cell Therapy Research will perform experimental duties related to the expanding work using experimental models to evaluate gene and cell therapies developed by the Research & Discovery Team. The role will specifically involve performing preclinical research using in vivo models, and support laboratory in vitro work required to evaluate the Research & Discovery Team's expanding work in process development, and validating new therapeutic targets and approaches.
The Technician will work closely with Senior Associates to plan experiments, set-up and monitor in vivo studies and contribute towards practical lab work, documentation and reporting to provide key support for lab functions. Candidates should be highly motivated and organized, with an explorative and proactive attitude, and an ability to multitask. as part of a team committed to delivering high quality products for use in Orchard's Therapeutic Programs.
Key Elements and Responsibilities
- Oversee in vivo work by providing daily hands on animal care, including routine monitoring and inspection, liaison with researchers and to perform all technical aspects of both regulated and non-regulated experimental protocols.
- Work within compliance with the study Project License
- Assist with the dissection, processing and analysis of tissues
- Contribute towards the planning and design of experimental in vivo and in vitro models
- Support lab operations, including inventory management, solution preparation, and standard lab tasks
- Contribute towards the preparation, review and completion of study reports and protocol SOPs
- Lead and participate on new and evolving projects as needed
- Contribute to the overall activities of the research team and department as required, including laboratory duties, attendance and participation in group and department meetings
- Contribute to the smooth running of the laboratory, helping to ensure effective lab management
Skills & Abilities
- Training in a biological or scientific discipline is essential
- Candidates must have knowledge and experience of working in a laboratory setting, preferably with in vivo and in vitro techniques
- Current or previous (acquired within the last 5 years) Home Office PIL license holder, modules 1-3 training.
- Working knowledge of Home Office regulations
- More than 1 year of experience of laboratory work with animal models and cell biology is essential
- Home Office PIL training
- You should be positive, reliable, flexible and able to communicate effectively with team colleagues.
- Good organizational skills
- Able to manage multiple tasks efficiently
- Keen attention to detail, with a good analytical ability to interpret data sets
- Ability to analyse and write up data, and to keep accurate records
- Ability to work in a laboratory independently and as part of a team on multiple projects, following established protocols, SOPs and safety procedures
- IT skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to present his/her own work in a clear and structured way at team meetings
- Candidates should also be highly motivated and responsible individuals who want to be a part of Orchard's mission, who present a level of ownership, hands-on mentality and personal drive
Candidate must possess:
- BSc or MSC with focus on a relevant biological discipline, including molecular biology/ biotechnology
Orchard Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity employer. RECRUITERS
All employment offers and CV's are managed through our Human Resources Department and all candidates are presented through this avenue. Therefore, the Human Resources Department at Orchard Therapeutics requests that recruiters are not to contact Orchard Therapeutics employees directly to present candidates. Complying with this request will be a factor in determining future professional relationships with Orchard Therapeutics. Orchard Therapeutics will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates for either current or future positions. Submission of unsolicited resumes in advance of an agreement between the Human Resources Department and the recruiter does not create any implied obligation on the part of Orchard Therapeutics.