Our Transportation Group currently has a vacancy for Senior Traffic Engineer within our West Midlands Roads Team in our Birmingham office to support our teams across the UK, Ireland and wider global AECOM.
You could be working towards or close to achieving, Chartered (CEng or IEng) status and will have an sound grounding in highways or traffic engineering design, particularly in the urban environment. Your experience will include working as part of multi-disciplinary project team developing designs for traffic engineering schemes, urban realm and public transport improvements for urban areas. The role would somebody looking to take their next step in their career to develop skills in technical or project leadership, working within a dynamic team that works closely with our in-house urban designers to create Complete Streets and enhance peoples lives through good design.
Our Birmingham office has an established track record of successfully delivering transportation projects throughout the Midlands and further afield. The office is located in the heart of Birmingham City Centre close to public transport routes. Our modern office is set up for flexible working with the successful candidate provided with a lap-top and software that facilitates flexible working which we encourage. We aim to work around your life requirements. Part time applicants are welcome.
The team provides concept, feasibility, preliminary and detailed design as well as associated scheme assessment services on a wide range of highway and traffic engineering projects and also supports other AECOM business lines where their projects have a highway interface.
Our current portfolio of works comprises a diverse mix of local and national projects. A selection of our recent projects include:
- HS2 Phase 2b
- TfWM's SPRINT Routes
- Transport for London's Cycle Superhighways
- Midlands Highways Alliance
- West Midlands Highways Alliance
- Assist in the preparation preliminary or detailed design of traffic engineering, local transport, urban design/streetscape and local authority/municipal highway schemes
- Lead small design projects or tasks within a larger project.
- Contribute to the preparation of fee proposals.
- Ensure technical content and quality of output produced is in line with the project brief
- Manage sub-consultants to produce deliverables against agreed timescales and in line with budget
- Sharing knowledge and supporting the team to create a collaborative work environment
- Day to day client point of contact for smaller projects
- Familiar with relevant Health and Safety, CDM and to promote a culture of safety awareness within the team.
- Following successful accreditation on the AECOM project management system act as a Deputy Project Manager including monitoring financial performance
- Comprehensive training on AECOM's project management system will be provided
Specific Skills Required:
- Previous experience of public/private sector working
- Knowledge of emerging best practice in transport, traffic, public realm and urban design
- Experience in managing projects or tasks, including Client and Design Team liaison
- Experience in bid writing and work winning would be beneficial
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills
- Experience of applying the principles of DMRB, the Traffic Signs Manual and 3D Design for urban streets situations In addition good knowledge of Manual for Streets would be beneficial
- Experience and knowledge of developing feasibility and preliminary design schemes
- Knowledge or experience in some of the following aspects: cycling, walking, bus priority, corridor studies, traffic calming, parking and junction design
- Knowledge of local and national design standards
Candidates with experience in some of the following skills would also be beneficial:
Road Safety Audits, traffic modelling utilising LINSIG or Junctions 9, alignment design using 3D Civils or Open Roads, graphic design, ability to act as Delegated Engineer or Mentor, ability to draft NEC contract documents, knowledge or experience of MCDHW specifications and bills of quantities.Preferred Qualifications
- HND, BEng or MEng degree in Civil Engineering or other relevant subject
Your benefits will include:
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you’ll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days’ annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You’ll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you’re a member of the Reserve Forces you’ll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.
#LI-SM1What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is . Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions and overall through programs supported by company leadership. Our define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only , but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.